Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Sniffing out a firewall -SNORT blew up registrty

From: "Chiman" <chiman () hawaiian net>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 22:51:51 -1000

Someone mentioned the snort utility.  It looked really cool, and so I
installed it.  Somehow it blew up
my registry, and every time i reboot it says WINDOWS REGISTRY CHECKER:
Windows encountered an error accessing the system registry.  Windows will
restart and repair the system registry for you.  [OK}

LOL, I never wanted to be a windows expert... I do UNIX/Solaris/Linux/IOS
etc, but... it's like owning a car
where the check engine lite is always lit, but the hood is welded shut....

I've spent 4 hours on this problem so far... found out about the scanreg
/restore command (and the scanreg /fix
one too).  Which must be run in the windows (or is it really MSODS) safe
with command mode.  Windows never does fix
it of course.  I have also looked around in regedit (but changed nothing).
Also tried changing the system ini
files (from msconfig), cursed windows always puts things back, that I don't
want to boot, to try and take out snort.
I have never found anything on snort in the system.ini files (all of them)
nor the registry, but it ran before I
rebooted.

Did anyone else have this problem?  Or does anyone know what to do from
here?

I hate Windoze, (UNIX Live free or Die... :-)

Also tried running McAfee recovery disk, it runs Dr Solamens (sp?) doesn't
do anything to help either....

Also tried running the PC troubleshooting software from the McAfee site...