Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Content scrubbers and application proxies...recommendations?

From: "David Hawley" <chiman () hawaiian net>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 17:12:02 -1000

This is religion, of course... but I assume you know Gauntlet came from
FWTK?

I too know the story about how the Author of FWTK was, in effect, ripped off
on royalaties for
FWTK, as implemented in Gauntlet..

FWTK is the most esoteric (command line like) imho.

Gauntlet is a little more user friendly, and still high up on security.

Checkpoint is really user friendly, but arguably (and I'd rather not) less
secure than Gauntlet, IMHO.

A lot of nice programs can be had with Checkpoint, VPN, content scrubbers,
etc.  The implementation of
Checkpoint on the Nokia switch is fast, and has some nice features, such as
a filesystem that overwrites root kits, etc.  This may have changed in the
last year or so.

If you want cheap, some folks use Linux to make a homegrown firewall....

Chiman