Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Borderware Ping Server

From: "Peter Cox" <peter () borderware com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 08:54:57 +0100

The BorderWare Ping server simply enables an ICMP Echo response when it is
turned on. By default the BorderWare Firewall Server does not respond to
Ping (or to any connection request), enabling the Ping server on one or more
interfaces enables the Firewall to respond on those interfaces.

What Marcus is describing is our Ping "proxy", which when enabled will
permit a user to ping a system through the Firewall and, assuming that
system is up, to get a response. The Ping proxy is available only for
outbound use (i.e an internal user can ping an external system and not vice
versa) and like all proxies and servers is disabled by default.

The Firewall's integrated hardened operating system includes defences for
ping of death and other denial of service attacks.

Peter Cox                                 Phone: +44 20 8893 6066
Vice President                            Fax: +44 20 8574 8384
BorderWare Technologies Inc               http://www.borderware.com