Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Intrusion Prevention Firewall

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () jmu edu>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 12:05:14 -0500

"Pieper, Rodney" wrote:

Except, imagine the following -- Wily hacker notices that whenever he does
'A' the firewall makes a change 'B'. After tiring of trying to get inside,
or maybe all he wants to do, he uses the previous information to effectively
DOS your network by continually doing 'A' in a modified fashion.
Not just flakey access control policy but a new DOS to fight.

First, I wouldn't want the IDP to implement access control by
making dynamic address/port based access control changes on
a firewall.

That architecture certainly leaves one open to all sorts of denial
of service scenarios using spoofed packets or simple overload
caused by too many dynamic changes.

I want the IDP to simply drop the offending packet(s). :)

but is the goal to reduce the manpower
requirement for an Intelligent Human analyst?

No. Its to create an effective intrusion prevention system instead of
an alarm system that does nothing to stop attacks.

On a large network, I know I'm being attacked. I don't need bells,
lights, email, and a fancy GUI to tell me. I want it stopped and
without having to block entire service catagories ala a firewall.

In other words, I don't want to block all truck traffic. I want
them searched and if they're carrying something malicious, have
them blocked at the border. Like a proxy firewall but with more
ID/P specialization.

This accomplishes three things:

1) Stops some attacks from being successful.
2) Allows the staff and IDS equipment to concentrate on the
   more sophisticated and probably more serious attacks which
   get through.
3) Keeps me from having to give in to the bad guys and block entire
   services because they're frequently attacked, defective, and/or
   mismanaged.

I know its not possible to accurately identify all the packets
carrying malicious traffic. I know there are practical limits
on what can be examined in real-time inline with a production
network. But I would think it would be possible to identify a
fair number of them. Am I wrong? Naive?

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer - Technical Services