Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: GIDS, Intrusion Prevention: A Firewall by Any Other Name

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () jmu edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 22:21:24 -0400

Crispin Cowan wrote:

Is anyone besides me sick to death of hearing about "intrusion prevention" and "gateway intrusion detection" technologies? These are devices that sit in-line between the Internet and your LAN, apply intrusion detection pattern matching rules to the content they see streaming in to your site, and block the stuff they deem to be "bad." The canonical example being the Inline SNORT (nee Hogwash) open source project.

Yea. But I also tired of everything being touted as "network enabled" in the eighties, "web enabled" and "object oriented" in the nineties, "secure" anything lately, and I'll likely tire of "web services" in the years to come. Its getting harder and harder to get real information to find out what a product actually does regardless of what
it is called.

As someone else already said, an ethernet bridge is an ethernet bridge until
someone calls it a switch.

Corollary: A router is a router until someone calls it a layer three switch.

Consumer marketing.