Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: RE:Vulnerability Scanners ( was: concerning ~el8 / project mayhem )

From: "B. Scott Harroff" <Scott.Harroff () att net>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 10:59:49 -0400

Actually, I think it's not necessarily good to stop "folks like Jim-" the
"bad apple" defense means you *must* stop Jim once he's reported.
However, if you put in a mechanism and it has flaws, you could be more
liable for the things that get through than you are if you don't try.
Suddenly you've placed yourself in the position of an editor, and legally,
not trying and not failing is different than trying and failing.

Your opinion is its better to do nothing and let 100% get though then though
a combination of technology / process / policy that stops 95%?

I think one would be better of showing "intent to protect and missing one
instance or two" than "doing nothing about a known problem".