Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE:Vulnerability Scanners ( was: concerning ~el8 / proje ct mayhem )

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 12:13:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Behm, Jeffrey L. wrote:

What mechanism won't have flaws?

That's where a good lawyer[1] gets their money though.  There also may
be other mitigating circumstances, such as first ammendment rights for
state college professors (Urofsky vs. Allen)

could be more liable for the things that get through than you are if you
don't try. Suddenly you've placed yourself in the position of an editor,

You are only the editor if you are editing...what about subscription
services that
provide "block lists"...are you still considered the editor, when you are
only
blocking categories, and not individual URL's?

That's a good question, and one that I'd encourage folks filtering to
discuss with their legal counsel.

and legally, not trying and not failing is different than trying and
failing.

To me the above argument applies if you are an ISP, but not a non-ISP
corporation.

ISPs didn't get common carrier status, a company *IS* an ISP to some
extent in regards to its employees.  That's why it's a legally slippery
slope.

People seem to forget that businesses are not democracies, and the employee
doesn't
have the same rights as he/she would have in the "real world." See the "No
expectation of privacy" clause in the email/Internet policy of prudent
corporations.

"No expectation" gets you past ECPA, but liability for content and
filtering isn't part of ECPA.

I thought in order to protect in the case of lawsuits, a company can show
they were
making "reasonable" attempts to prevent such activity from occurring. Who
can say they
are completely effective in being able to stop "folks like Jim" without
disconnecting
from the Internet.

The bar for "hostile workplace" seems to be high enough that filtering
won't make any difference in a defense if it's not present:

http://www.ftrf.org/work_jb.html

Seems to have a good bit of info, even if parts of it are
library-specific.

Jacksonville Shipyards has been the "standard" citation in discussions
I've had in the past, and I wasn't aware that the case hinged upon verbal
harrassment in conjunction with the pictures, that certainly changes my
outlook on what I have to worry about.

Sexually hostile speech seems to need to be part of the work environment
to be actionable *and* must rise to a level sufficiently severe to create
an abusive workplace[3].

Agreed on both counts.  Not taking action can be very
expensive though.....

As important as taking action is *when* you take action- and
preemptive
strikes can cost you in court where post-event action won't.
If you continue to ignore the issue and take no pre-emptive
measures, then post-event-only action may cost you as well.
This mindset would potentially (and in my opinion, doubtfully)
only work on the VERY first case at one's company. What Judge
is going to believe you "didn't know you were supposed to keep
the garbage out by filtering/blocking?"

Filtering/blocking doesn't keep that stuff out- therefore the argument
that you "didn't know" is specious- all the filtering in the world will
make the connection business unfriendly (heck, I've gotten about 150
bounces from *this thread* from content filters- think blocking this
discussion is useful?[2])

Even so, all other cases would then require pre-emptive action,
or the Judge could say "Don't you (the company) get the hint? You
need to stop this activity for ALL employees, not just those that
are being reported. Don't let me see you in this court-room again,
without having taking any precautions about preventing this."

Hasn't happened yet AFAICT.  Harrassment *isn't* just about seeing a
picture from what I've read, and you're only going to lose if the
environment is condusive to it- that's other things in conjunction with
picture viewing.  So, more likely the judge would have something to say
for the lawyers who keep brining specious cases.

About the only preemptive action that seems to have not landed anyone
in hot water is training.

Training? What training? ;-)

Every time they send me to harassment training, I tell them I don't need
training, I'm already very good at it ;)

Paul
[1] Oxymoron for sure.
[2] Hrm, maybe a bad example ;)
[3] Caviness, 105 F.3d- Winsor, 79 F.3d- Harris v. Forklift Sys Inc, 510
US 17 (1993)- Meritor Savings Bank, FSB v. Vinson, 477 US 57 (1986)