Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Email Appliances

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 13:39:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, Behm, Jeffrey L. wrote:

Any opinions on email appliances that are supposed to make an email admin's
job much, much easier? You know, to accept email from the Internet and
forward it into your internal network (and vice versa), so as to not expose
your internal email server to the risks of the Internet and to utilize this
choke point as a place to filter and virus check.

Put them *behind* a modern, well-maintained, well-written mail system.
(my personal choice is Postfix- IMO, Postfix, Qmail and Exim are the best
choices in that order.)  I place the order based on how much I like using
each product, but Postfix also has the management FUD-reducer of also
being called the "IBM Secure Mailer" if you have one of those layer 8[1]
problems that's Open Source adverse.

I am looking for opinions on an appliance in the Medium to Large Enterprise
range, such as IronMail (www.ciphertrust.com <www.ciphertrust.com> ) or
McAfee's e500 (www.mcafeeb2b.com/products/webshield-eapp/default.asp
<www.mcafeeb2b.com/products/webshield-eapp/default.asp> ), The appliance
will be used for content filtering, AntiVirus, SPAM, Web Access, security,
manageability, etc. and for accepting/sending email for multiple (internal)
domain names.

We've seen "keeping it up to date" issues with e-mail appliances (most
recently DNS/resolver bugs) that go away when they're placed behind a
BIND9 server (which rewrites the query/answer enough to provide
protection.)  But it's not the instantiation of a specific problem that
worries me, it's the class of problem that doing anti-spam, anti-virus and
SMTP well is tricky and appliances scream to not be updated, and vendors
are more focused on marketable functionality than anything.  I don't
think firewalls should be out there talking SMTP either though- I've
always preferred to do initial rejection on a box that mostly is built to
do mail well- it's always been too important a service to leave in the
hands of some vendor that's marketing anything other than
e-mail communications as a feature set[2].

Hopefully this won't touch off a "which (email) firewall is best" flame war,

I'll probably not pass too much advocacy this time, not sure I can take
two "my favorite product is" threads in a week.

Paul
[1] Political layer.
[2] Canonical firewall-breaks-SMTP example skillfully avoided. ;)