Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Is the order of the rules entered in iptables important?

From: David Lang <david.lang () digitalinsight com>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 09:25:19 -0700 (PDT)

having worked with both types I think that the 'best fit' approach is
easier if you have small rulesets, but the 'rule order' approach offers
more precise control with a complicated ruleset.

one thing that makes the 'best fit' approach work on raptor is that since
it is a proxy based firewall you are not putting in two rules for each
traffic type, only one so some of the more obvious reordering problems
vanish.

David Lang