Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: RE: present day admin skills

From: Darren Reed <darrenr () reed wattle id au>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 02:26:42 +1100 (EST)

In some email I received from George Capehart, sie wrote:
[...]
What we have here is a failure of management.  What I mean is this:  If
the managers of the sysadmins that are described in this thread a) had
a clue about what skills their people needed to have and b) provided
leadership and actually developed the skills of their people, this problem
wouldn't exist.
[...]

I know at least one large, Australian company (they'd call themselves a
multinational company) where it is the company policy to NOT send staff
on training courses.

Why?  Because they fear that in doing so they provide the staff with a
better resume and its easier for them to find another (better) job.

That sort of problem doesn't start "in the middle", but at the "top".
Really, it indicates a "rotten core" (if you think of the people at
the "top" also being at the "core".)

Darren