Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Re: w00w00 on AIM Filter (Backdoors & SpyWare)

From: Frank Knobbe <FKnobbe () KnobbeITS com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 13:09:07 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph S D Yao [mailto:jsdy () center osis gov]
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2002 2:53 PM

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 09:26:38PM -0800, Crispin Cowan wrote:
Exactly how does a firewall protect against this type of
attack?

By blocking IM protocols so you won't use these vulnerable
applications :-)

We've found that the latest AIM client can go out through some HTTP
proxies, then try an array of different outgoing ports until it has
hooked up to the login server.  We can apparently get to AIM,
Yahoo, and others this way (ICQ).  We haven't looked at the full
range of behaviours.

I don't think blocking AIM is a protocol problem, but rather an
APPLICATION problem. If your policy states that IM products are not
to be used, you should find ways to prevent users from bringing the
application in and installing it. It doesn't matter if AIM talks
straight IP, HTTP proxy, AIM proxy, or tunnels through something.
It's the application that is not desired, not the protocol.

I believe the problem is solved better on the application management
level. Sadly, there are not a lot of good products out there. If we
could add custom signatures to virus-scanner-like products, the issue
would be solved more quickly, at least on resident machines.

Laptops, especially from third parties like vendors, still present a
problem though which can only be solved on the network level. Instead
of barring ports, why not use active filtering techniques? If your
IDS detects the use of AIM (or another IM) product, it could block
that persons laptop/desktop and prevent him all Internet access
(until he becomes policy compliant again).

Comments?

Regards,
Frank

PS: I think Chad's questions was 'How does a firewall protect from
semantic attacks'...