Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Feedback on IPFW

From: "Freddie Cash" <fcash () bigfoot com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 10:46:12 -0800

Hello,

I am currently evaluating FreeBSD(4.4)/IPFW and would like to receive
feedback from experimented users, so good news and bad news are very
welcomed.

We've been using IPFW/NATd on FreeBSD 4.1-4.4 for the past two years in
the local school district.  Every high school has their own box, as well
as the admin sites.  They are all connected via VPNs (using pipsecd) to
the board office.  This allows connections to the Novell servers as
NetWare does not play nice with NAT unless using Novell BorderGuard.

The only problem we've encountered so far is running out of buffer space
on the 3COM 3c509 ISA cards during packet storms from Nimda/Code Red and
the like.  Fortunately, it only kills the internal card and we are able
to connect and reset the card remotely.

IPFW has a very nice and easy syntax and also has a very clean log
style.  We haven't used it yet, but IPFW has the ability to shape
traffic and restrict traffic flow using dummynet.

In short, we're extremely happy with it.  :)

Cheers,
Freddie                 PhoenixTek Consulting
fcash () bigfoot com    Unix / Networking Services
                        (250) 314-4029