Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: The Morris worm to Nimda, how little we've learned or gained

From: Rudy_D_Pereda () mail dbf state fl us
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 07:34:40 -0500

Folks, you can continue beating this dead horse, but the fact of the matter
is that people, businesses, government need a catalyst to make them think
differently about things. This thing can be hardening security, flawless
OS/application designs, etc.... whatever you wanted to be.

Case in point, the September 11 attacks on the WTC. As unfortunate, and
grotesque an action as that was that is what it took to get the government
to tell the airlines to pinch their profits and increase security at the
airports(its better but don't let it fool you). It also opened up the eyes
of everyone to the reality that we are not protected by an invisible
shield.

Likewise, I think for everyone to take security seriously in the
technological realm of computers, networks, etc... some thing major will
first have to happen that impacts everyone(internet users, companies,
government) and lingers in their minds for sometime. As we all know, time
mends everything and people, on the most part, forget or want to forget
unpleasant happenings.

You can talk about how little we've learned, done, changed from 20 yrs ago,
but you need a major catalyst for everyone to realize the seriousness of
the matter. Remember, when increasing security, or adding competent staff
to your techno team get in the way of profits or budgets, everyone will
continue to gamble to the very end hoping that it's not going to happen to
them.

...Rudy.

                    "Paul D. Robertson"

                    <proberts () patriot ne        To:     "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () nfr com>

                    t>                          cc:     "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>, <firewall-wizards ()
nfr net>
                    Sent by:                    Subject:     Re: [fw-wiz] The Morris worm to Nimda, how little we've
learned or gained
                    firewall-wizards-adm

                    in () nfr com

                    01/03/2002 08:36 PM