Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: FWTK and smap/smapd

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 11:00:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002, Frederick M Avolio wrote:

The real problem with something like smap/smapd is that it uses Sendmail at
all. Remember Sendmail (postfix, et al) supports IT ALL. On an e-mail

[sometimes the moderator approves things so he can heckle ;)]

gateway to the Internet, we don't (shouldn't) need that. We can make some
assumptions, which simplify things considerably. And if we don't mind
passing outbound e-mail to our ISP, things get even simpler. There's just
no money in it. And of course given a choice of  "secure-er" or faster we
take faster.

While I agree generally with what you say, I'd like to point out the
biggest advantage of Open Source- you can rip out massive ammounts of code
that isn't particularly necessary.  These days, if you're running a
corporate gateway, you need *lots* of functionality for mail (mostly for
blocking and rewriting) and a good deal of that needs to happen up-front
(arguments as to if "up front" needs to be the firewall or not are not
addressed in this memo[1].)

For at least one of the examples, it's relatively easy to rip out large
ammounts of non-essential code (by module, by function...)

While you're still left with a lot more code than with something like
smap- you get at least some assurance that you've taken away a lot of
potential badness/inappropriateness.

Paul
[1] I abhor the "security is not addressed" RFC stuff.