Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Securing a Linux Firewall

From: Carson Gaspar <carson () taltos org>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 14:36:03 -0400

--On Tuesday, July 23, 2002 12:07 PM -0400 Frederick M Avolio <fred () avolio com> wrote:

Turn off everything you are certain you don't require.
Actually remove the executables, also. (remove the rpm).

OK - as someone who seems to represent the "remove the executables" camp, can you explain your reasoning? I've never been able to understand _why_ removing files buys you anything?

(See my previous post for my strategy - castrate all priveleged binaries, turn off all services, and turn logging to high)

--
Carson