Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: IPChains vs. IPTables

From: Volker Tanger <volker.tanger () discon de>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 09:21:58 +0200

Greetings!

Josh Welch wrote:
From: "Patrick Darden" <darden () armc org>

> IPTables allow content inspection (making sure port 80 traffic is > web, 21 is ftp, etc.), making it a little better than a mere packet
>  > filter.
> Truthfully, though, with tunnelling, if you don't have tight access > lists then allowing any protocol access is just as secure via
>  > packet filtering as packet inspection.  Loki uses icmp;
>  > then there's ssl tunneling, ssh, and hosts of others....

IPTables does not , to my understanding, do content inspection. It does
state inspection, which IPChains does not, but does not check content. How
would you check content with IPTables?.

There are some first (pre-alpha) patches for IPtables (2.5 kernel) that lay a foundation for packet data insprection. The "normal" IPtables only is a stateful (not inspection) packet filter, whereas IPchains only is a static (dumb) packet filter. For a detailed overview see
http://www.wyae.de/secure_gateway/gateways.html

Bye

Volker Tanger
IT-Security Consulting