Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: dirty packet tricks?

From: Nate Campi <nate () campin net>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 09:37:11 -0700

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 09:44:46AM -0600, Ryan Russell wrote:
On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

That's really the meat of my question. I was thinking that I
could suck 'em up promiscuously!! :)

Of course, if you've got a real router, why not just have it route the
traffic through the proxy, like every other firewall out there?

At work we have load balancers that take care of something similar for
us. We take packets from certain hosts which are destined for a certain
load balanced set of servers, and forward the packets to a load balanced
set of cacheflow boxes. We do exactly what you're looking to do, but the
proxy is a simple cache.
--
"Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface."