Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: FWTK and smap/smapd

From: Joseph S D Yao <jsdy () center osis gov>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 17:27:04 -0400

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 07:50:40AM -0500, Behm, Jeffrey L. wrote:
Is the Firewall Toolkit still a viable solution nowadays? At least as an
email gateway with smap/smapd-type functionality?

Somewhat aged.  Independent support exists in the form of patches found
at www.fwtk.org.  It is still a viable solution, with those patches.
Smap is quite fast - provided you find the right balance of how
frequently to call 'smapd'.

It still needs something like 'sendmail' or 'postfix' to do the actual
delivery.  I would NOT use either as your mail proxy, not even
'postfix', just because anything that's big enough to do a proper job
of mail delivery is too big to be groked in toto.  Hence bugs.  I have
no problem using either 'sendmail' or 'postfix' behind 'smap'.

the config similar to Gauntlet's netperm-table, or what?"

Other way around - Gauntlet's is based on FWTK's.

The license agreement appears to me to say only "Non-Commercial" and I want
to abide by that if I have interpreted it correctly. (Is there anyone still

Yes, you can't sell it.  But you can use it in your commercial setting.
Read the agreement carefully.

I am distressed to hear that TIS Labs was separated from Gauntlet.  NAI
did some things to it that I didn't like, who knows what SCC will do?
[Besides just strip it for parts for Sidewinder.]

--
Joe Yao                         jsdy () center osis gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support                                     EMT-B