Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Microsoft ISA Server

From: "B. Scott Harroff" <Scott.Harroff () att net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 18:26:49 -0400

We use the ISA servers primarily as cache servers.  We require domain
authentication prior to using the server so we can track traffic by user
ID.  We are not using any filters on the ISA servers.  Their "external"
NIC ends up in a DMZ behind OpenBSD firewalls which provide the inbound
outbound filtering.

If your used to iptables / ipchains or ipf or pf on linux/unix, you'll
find the ISA GUI rather akward.  To some, the layering and entering data
into different layered screens for filtering is undesirable.  I've also
found it difficult to do a dump of "show me how all the rules interact
together", where as with iptables / chains / ipf / pf its easy to top
down see whats happening and why.