Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: NAT vs translation vs routing in Gauntlet firewall

From: Dave Piscitello <dave () corecom com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 14:22:07 -0400

All NAT devices *forward* IP packets. Most firewalls support some variant of NAT that hides the IP networks assigned to the trusted/protected network interface They do this by statically mapping an unique private (e.g., RFC 1918 compliant) IP address to individual public IP addresses (static NAT) or by dynamically mapping an entire set of private addresses to the single public IP address assigned to the public/external/Internet-facing network interface of the Firewall (commonly NATP).

I'm perhaps an old fart and purist, but I'd distinguish this kind of activity from (adaptive) routing. Firewalls commonly make forwarding choices based on static routing tables. Many firewalls don't (currently) support dynamic routing (e.g., RIP, OSPF, BGP). I say "currently" because the vendors in the high end (GigE capable) firewalls seem to be intent on supporting BGP.