Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Sniffer Opinions?

From: black () galaxy silvren com
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 11:16:42 -0500 (EST)

I've used Etherpeek, and like it. I've done html exports of captures a few
times, and that can come in really handy for giving to vendors. The other
product I've worked with that most closely matches it would probably be
Sniffer Pro. In Etherpeek you can also select only related packets in a
session, so for example if your web server had 10 tcp sessions it was
serving at the time, you could select which session you wanted to look at.
Infinitely handy in separating signal to noise on busy networks.

PROS: It's a tight package that works great. No crashing problems. You can
create very detailed filters. It's dirt cheap compared to Sniffer Pro. It
also comes with some tools such as a ping scanner, service scanner etc,
but they are very basic.

CONS: Not as complete as Sniffer Pro. Also not as popular as Sniffer Pro,
so sending raw capture data is not always an option. No real-time
analysis like Sniffer Pro will give you.