Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: regarding spam...

From: Adam Shostack <adam () homeport org>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 17:46:59 -0500

On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 09:45:01AM -0500, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

| So, a side effect of this approach is a 'web of trust' with
| respect to noise email. :) Suppose I tell the mail system
| "I trust Dodge Mumford's judgement regarding what is spam"
| then my mail system will automatically move into my spam
| folder all emails that Dodge moves into his spam folder.
| We might choose to look out for eachother in a reflexive
| relationship, or we might choose to additionally trust an
| outside source, etc, etc.

| Does anyone know if this is already being done? Does anyone
| see any really compelling reason it wouldn't work?

You might look at an auto-responder which checks that there's a valid
from address (TMDA, Tagged Message Delivery Agent
http://software.libertine.org/tmda/)

The DCC or Distributed Checksum Clearinghouse is a system of clients
and servers that collects and count checksums related to about
1,000,000 mail messages per day. The counts can be used by SMTP
servers and mail user agents to detect and reject or filter
unsolicited bulk mail or spam. DCC servers exchange or "flood" common
checksums. The checksums include values that are constant across
common variations in bulk messages, including "personalizations."

http://www.rhyolite.com/anti-spam/dcc/

http://spamassassin.taint.org/ is a rule based system.

Adam

--