Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Security clauses for contracts

From: Dave Piscitello <dave () corecom com>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 10:13:19 -0400

"Process sensitive information" is rather generic.
But your clauses suggest this is an engagement contract
for a security audit. And for the most part, you've stipulated
things from Alice's point of view. What you state is
reasonable for Alice. But I think it's common that Bob has more demands,
especially where Bob takes security very seriously.

I can think of several additional clauses to contracts where Bob's
sensitive information is processed by Alice. I imagine you have simply
skipped over the non-disclosure agreement, and clearly, this is essential.

Also, where sensitive information is disclosed, I've seen contracts
stipulating the exact number and format of the disclosed material,
appropriate handling (literally, a chain of custody), and its disposition
following the authorized processing.

Enumeration of Alice's staff engaged by Bob is common.
Background checks on this staff are common.
Disclosure of Alice's operations environment, its physical
and "logical" security measures is common.
Procedures for "auditing the auditor", including site visits,
accompaniment or participation in the security audit process,
is common.

I recently ran into an unique situation that may illustrate my point.
For some set of Bobs, it may be the case that sensitive information
(e.g., application payloads) cannot be legally disclosed--specifically,
Bob is not the owner of the information and cannot authorize its
disclosure, as Bob's already agreed contractually to protect it.
I'm working with an auditing/performance analysis company, Alice,
who is developing a hardware probe specifically for the Bobs of the
world, where packet header analysis is performed, and application
payload is scrubbed, before the packets, interpacket delays, etc.
are made available to Alice.