Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Re: Free S/wan over satellite

From: Dave Piscitello <dave () corecom com>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 09:03:20 -0400

You really haven't given much information here.

First, I'd crack out ethereal and sniff the IKE and IPsec
security association establishment is what you expect.
Since you say performance degraded, I imagine you've
convinced yourself that the SA's actually establish, and
that there's no NAT interference?

Then I'd look at packet latencies.

Then I'd change some security association parameters
to see whether my system was a performance bottleneck.

I'd ask "Are you using 3DES? If you change the policy to DES,
does the performance improve? If you just use
message integrity and not message encryption, does
the performance improve?" If yes to any of these, maybe
it's CPU on one end or the other? If no to any of these, then
you've eliminated crypto processing. I'd look for something else.