Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

802.11 Wireless ISP/WLAN

From: "Scott Mraz" <SMraz () co riverside ca us>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 07:15:46 -0800

Hello All,

Allow me to introduce myself, I'm rather new to the list, I recently signed up and have been following the list for a
few weeks now.

After reading some responses to the "Interlopers on the WLAN" discussion, I decided I should pose a question to the
group of a somewhat related topic. Me a few associates of mine are contemplating starting a Wireless ISP & WLAN Co-Op
in our local community. We've done a lot of research on 802.11 and how to implement it in a WMAN. We've got some
problems though. We need to segment each user via MAC addresses. Naturally we thought of VLAN's however we could not
come up with a cheap solution to implementing VLAN's at layer 2. So to my question, does anyone know of a cheap
solution to VLAN's of an 802.11 network?

Thanks for your time, and any input you may be able to provide.

Regards,

-Scott R. Mraz
Systems Admin
County of Riverside, IT