Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: RE: Help w/ Port 137 Traffic

From: Richard Sharpe <rsharpe () ns aus com>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 05:41:11 +0930 (CST)

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, Mikael Olsson wrote:

Bill Royds wrote:

The netbios Name query/response packets are in the same format as DNS
query/response packets, just on port 137 instead of 53

*ding*

They're not even remotely related.

Do a dump of a netbios name query and you'll see a string like
"IJDFYEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"
where each letter is one nibble (4 bits), plus 'A' (which means
that each "AA" pair is in fact a representation of NUL.)

Do a dump of a DNS query and you'll see a string like
"www.bustyvixens.com" umm .. ^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hmicrosoft.com"

Hmmm, I don't want to make a lot of game-show like noises, but there are
similarities between DNS requests and NetBIOS name requests, however, the
RFC1001/RFC1002 people did choose a really weird encoding for names.

For more information on NetBIOS name requests, I would suggest that you
look at the excellent documentation at ubiqx.org/cifs.

Regards
-----
Richard Sharpe, rsharpe () ns aus com, rsharpe () samba org,
sharpe () ethereal com, http://www.richardsharpe.com