Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Proverbial appliance vs software based firewall

From: Mikael Olsson <mikael.olsson () clavister com>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 16:25:53 +0200

Jared Valentine wrote:

the hardware manufacturer can build off of a trusted
base/OS.  They can look at the OS line by line and strip out everything not
essential for the operating of that firewall.

A software firewall doensn't enjoy the same operating environment.  It lies
on top of an inheriently unsecure general purpose operating system (ie;
Windows), and therefore is subject to all of the vulnerabilities of that
operating system.

I was saying to myself that I should stay out of this discussion;
anything I say here can likely be construed as a vendor plug, but,
bah, Paul will hopefully just drop this post if it's too bad.
If not, you are of course free to just ignore it. [1]

We sell our firewall as a software package as well as pre-installed
on appliance boxes.  (Hopefully this carries some weight; I don't care
if people only want appliances. I'm equally happy either way.)

I argue that both are equally secure.

The fact of the matter is that both run on the same "os": no os.
The firewall is its own operating system.  Both want to be installed
on clean media.

Tell me how the appliance is more secure?

Sure, the average Joe is probably happier with the appliance, since he
doesn't have to go out and find hardware that agrees with having heaps of
NICs, we do that for him, but how is the appliance more _secure_?

I'm thinking that the topic should be: "are firewalls that you need to
install on a default install of Solaris/Linux/Windows better than
firewalls that are shipped with a hardened OS (installation)?"
... or maybe "vendor hardened vs default install"
rather than "appliance vs software".
(But here's where it really starts to smell an awful lot like a vendor
 plug[2], so I'll just end right here.)

/Mikael

--
Mikael Olsson, Clavister AB
Storgatan 12, Box 393, SE-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK, Sweden

"Senex semper diu dormit"

[1] These kind of postings were more fun back when I didn't have to
    think about things like this :/

[2] Luckily, there are a few other security product vendors[3] that ship
    CDs that do their own OS installs and so forth, so hopefully the
    stench isn't too ripe.

[3] FW-1 on Linux and the NFR CD come to mind. I'm sure there are others.