Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Application Proxy/L7 Firewall Recommendation?

From: kaptain <kaptain () kaptain com>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 19:47:13 +0000 (GMT)

I'd recommend Network Appliance NetCache or Blue
Coat (formerly Cacheflow) Secure Gateways.

I'm not ISA bashing here...I'm sure it's plenty good for some people.
Here are the major advantages I see with the aformentioned appliances.

[1] These appliances have sophisticated policy engines and ACL
capabilities.  They can support all the major types of streaming media.
They can do content filtering, throttle bandwidth, be prepopulated with
content, display real time metrics, proxy DNS, virus scan, GSLB (with
NetCache at least for distributed content access), central multi-box
managment,  etc.

[2] They both have proprietary OS's that aren't subject to exploits
common to platforms that run Linux or Windows.  These general purpose OS's
require constant maintenance.

Both platforms support SmartFilter, Websense and WebWasher.  I believe the
WebWasher product is off-box and the filtration happens via request
modification as part of the ICAP protocol.  Both platforms allow ACLs
based on filter categories and users (and groups) along with
authentication (NTLM, Radiu, LDAP, and user defined on box).

-K