Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: commercial va

From: Mark Gumennik <mgumennik () mitre org>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 13:27:09 -0400

Below are some of the products. Don't remember which ones were tested
and which ones are actually host scanners (some of them have both), so
you guys can through more stones at me.
I did not include 2 more proprietary VAs. BTW, one of them gave me 12
times (!) more vulnerabilities then ISS. None of them made sense...;-)
Mark
:
www.nessus.org

www.eeye.com
www.intrusion.com
www.okena.com
www.ca.com
www.cisco.com
www.netgear.com
www.niksun.com
www.STATonline.com
www.entercept.com
www.enterasys.com/ids
www.ubizen.com
www.counterpane.com
www.iss.net
www.nokia.com
www.tripwire.com
www.symantec.com
www.exodus.net
www.datareturn.com
www.kavado.com
www.netiq.com
www.visualware.com
www.sanctuminc.com
www.STATonline.com

Anton Chuvakin wrote:

Plus, there are at least half a dozen other good products!
Half a dozen more scanners which are "good", which I define as "have an
up-to-date database of exploits/checks for multiple OS
(UNIX/Win/IOS/...)"? Where are all those products? How low profile they
are? I assume you count products and not services (such as Qualys and
Foundstone), which are reportedly good, but IMHO are in somewhat different
market.

It is entirely possibly to build a scanner in your garage :-), but keeping
up with all the exploits/vulns is a major effort.

Best,
--
  Anton A. Chuvakin, Ph.D., GCI*
     http://www.chuvakin.org