Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Managed Firewall Service - Opinions

From: Joseph S D Yao <jsdy () center osis gov>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 15:53:01 -0400

Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 12:59:31 -0400
From: "Melson, Paul" <PMelson () sequoianet com>
To: "Jeffery.Gieser () minnesotamutual com@AICNOTES"
    <IMCEANOTES-Jeffery+2EGieser+40minnesotamutual+2Ecom+40AICNOTES@sequoianet
    .com>, firewall-wizards () honor icsalabs com

(strange trailing TLD there... )

That's Lotus Gnotes droppings.  Someone doesn't know how to filter
properly.  (I certainly don't.)

To be fair, any security services company with a half-way decent legal
department will require some level of disclaimer like this in their SLA,
or any contract for that matter.  You're asking too much if you want to
pay a vendor $15K-$20K/yr and expect them to pay 10x to 100x that back
if there's a security incident.  I can't think of any industry where a

The insurance industry is one that comes to mind, as well as potentially
the healthcare industry by way of the insurance industry.

In most cases though, the risks aren't anywhere near as common for the
pool of insured as they are for any of us who rely on programmers and
programming discipline.

In fact, I'm surprised you didn't point to the familiar example of
software license disclaimers.  "This software is not guaranteed to be
suitable for running on your computer, doing anything useful in this
lifetime, or lining a bird cage."  At least that's better than
"... guaranteed not to be ...".

--
Joe Yao                         jsdy () center osis gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support                                     EMT-B