Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: tunnel vs open a hole

From: Bruce Platt <Bruce () ei3 com>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 16:24:34 -0400

I've enjoyed this thread, so let me add my $.02.

There is one advantage of an IPSEC VPN in this sort of circumstance which
narrows the "zones of insecurity" somewhat.

One can create SA's and SPI's which more tightly specify which network
entities can communicate through this sort of "tunnel".

In addition to the benefit of authentication, one does have the ability to
perform more specifically tuned tunneling than one would achieve by using
the http proxy on a firewall which as so many have noted is just an open
hole.

None of the above means I think a generalized IPSEC VPN solution is
necessarily better than Anton's alternative of "opening another port" in the
context which has evolved in this thread.  Rather, no one has offered the
benefits of this approach which can also offer authorization as part of the
implementation can therefore be a suitable solution for certain
requirements.

Regards,

Bruce