Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Off topic: Any one know of a good IPV6 reference book?

From: Peter Busser <peter () trusteddebian org>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 09:18:11 +0200

Hello,

What frustrates me about the whole IPV6 thing is that the nominal
reason for it was because of the address space issues. But there
were so many simpler options available that nobody wanted to
take because, frankly, everyone wanted to be part of the fun of
making up the next big standard.

Why are there no freely available implementations of these alternatives for
e.g. Linux and *BSD?

It is easy enough to flame someone/something, but that doesn't mean much unless
you provide an alternative that works. The US, only 5% of the world population,
owns about 70% of the world-winde address space. The EU has probably a large
part of the remaining 30%. So how much does that leave for the Asian and
African countries? I bet 70% of the world population has only 5% of the address
space. If Internet use in these countries grows, then it won't take long before
the address space runs out, if it hasn't already for some of them. So how much
choice do these people really have?

Groetjes,
Peter Busser
--
The Adamantix Project
Taking trustworthy software out of the labs, and into the real world