Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: CP Vs SonicWall Vs PIX Vs Netscreen Vs Symantec

From: "Josh Welch" <jwelch () buffalowildwings com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 16:28:37 -0500

bit_suryanto80 () yahoo com sg said:
Hello,

We are currently evaluating several remote firewall
devices for broadband usage:

Checkpoint VPN1-pro
SonicWall
PIX-515E-UR
Intrusions PDS
Netscreen 50
Symantec Gateway Security 5300

I've been poking around the net for some recent
comparisons and what not about the different platfomrs
to no avail so I've decided to approach the user
community.

There will be several hundred at least and I figure
that some folks out there may have some interesting
thoughts or comments on the different platforms that
may have escaped us.  We are looking for the good, the
bad and the ugly.  The critical issues are:

  security issues of the individual platform

  management issues (sw, firmware, policy)

  mechanisms for managing virus sw revisions

  dual vs triple interfaces
    we'd like to separate "home" from "work"

thnx.u

I've been looking at a smaller deployment of the same type, I'll give you my
impressions so far. I am largely focusing on the PIX and NS at this point,
checkpoint is beyond my budget, hadn't heard of Intrusions, and I've heard
rumblings of financial difficulties at Sonicwall that I have not yet
confirmed. I may look at the Symantec yet.
If these are for SOHO users (that's what I think of when I see broadband),
then you'd want to look at the Netscreen 5 and PIX 501 types. They are sized
more appropriately for these purposes.
I don't remember seeing AV capability in the PIX, the NS 5GT did or will
have it, can't remember. Then again, I don't know if I want that on my
firewall or not.
You can block ActiveX and Java thingies with the Netscreen, I don't know if
you can with the PIX (I've researched the Netscreen a fair bit, but am just
beginning on the PIX).
I don't like the web interface on the NS, web server on firewall makes me
nervous, but I am assuming I can turn it off.
Both NS and Cisco offer a central management solution, seems like a good
thing to invest in with a bunch of FW running, trying to convince management
of same. The NS Solution I looked at allowed for updating policies and
software revs.
As far as security of one versus the other, I don't know. They are both
certified by the ICSA labs, and have Common Criteria EAL 4 ratings with the
proper software revisision, this seems like a good thing.

That's what I have so far,
HTH
Josh