Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: worm + VPN + firewall

From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 12:13:27 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003, Carric Dooley wrote:

I have worked with a client that started getting RPC scans from their VPN
range the day the worm was released. Luckily they had patched most of
their systems.

I agree that the VPN segment should be DMZ'd, but typically those users
have acess to NetBIOS so they can map shares, etc. If you didn't patch,
you are hosed on this one. Lots of people didn't learn from Nimda.

Even many that tried to patch got slammed here, as the tools to determine
patch level and/or the success of application are not foolproofed.  But,
the biggest thing  is coming out from all the recent worms of the past 2
years or so that have struck the windows platforms is how messed up the
whole patch process is in that realm!  Slammer showed that a patched
system could be made vulnerable again but simply installing new software,
or that even other patches might put the system back into high risk.  I'm
just glad it's not my headache!

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
--
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!