Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: OSPF on Firewall

From: "Carroll, Shawn" <SCarroll () chittenden com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 17:03:15 -0500

First I would analyze, or be confident of, my need to run a routing protocol between the two routers.  If you need a
boundary, why specifically wouldn't default or static routing be desirable?  Is there multiple paths between these two?
 Do the networks reachable on either side change often enough for a dynamic routing protocol to be a good solution?

Second, if there's machines, subnets, or TCP/IP ports that need to be excluded or allowed, why wouldn't access lists
applied to an interface of the existing routers be sufficient, even desireable?

My hunch is that if you back up one step and ask what it is you're trying to do, the best answer won't be to stick a
firewall in the middle of two OSPF routers in the same area.  (feel free to reply on- or off-list with specifics about
topology and goals)