Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: MTU issue routing traffic via Cisco GRE tunnel to Nokia/Check Point firewall

From: "Ben Nagy" <ben () iagu net>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 10:30:05 +0100

Ok, I have a working theory. Stop me if you've heard this one... ;)

It's PMTU-D. Again.

Just confirm that someone hasn't helpfully "tightened" your firewall
settings to deny all outbound ICMP errors. Over-enthusiastic firewall
monkeys seem to do that fairly often.

If those ICMP unreachables aren't actually getting back through the firewall
to the sending host (the outside webserver) then it will be breaking path
MTU discovery, and you'll get symptoms like what you're seeing.

As a workaround, you can lower the MTU on your Paris LAN hosts. This will
make sure that the client never asks for an MSS big enough to cause the
problem. I guess 1380 would be the magic number there, but I haven't
actually checked the overheads. That's a horribly ugly thing to do, by the
way, and I feel kind of bad for suggesting it.

'luck...

ben

(Oh, and let me know the result? I like mysteries.)

[1] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1191.txt