Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Webex and the like

From: Mike Hoskins <mike () adept org>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 16:20:55 -0800 (PST)

From: Gene Yoo <gyoo () attbi com>
Subject: Re: [fw-wiz] Webex and the like
Steve Smith wrote:
I hope this subject hasn't been harped on too much - I just joined your
group.  Our corporation has blocked access to GoToMyPC and Webex due to
security concerns.  As a firewall administrator, I had to block the IP
range of both sites.
unfortunately for me (since i work in a legal/government
environment) they felt that almighty lawyers needed a medium
to spend less money on travel and use the above.  my hands
are tied brother.  they said that's why we hired you to keep
the operation going...  sigh

I've been in that boat.  An old CTO used to say security people have to
have a point where they say "that's against my religion" and don't budge.
He insisted that was part of the job.  I pretty much agree, but also
realize that there are times when you're ultimately just a "technology
enabler" and can't say no.  In those cases, I think the best thing you can
do is present a clear, documented case as to the risks involved and make
every relevant manager sign off on it.  Then if sh!t breaks, you can just
point at the paper with a smug look on your face.