Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: What's the best?

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 21:41:54 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, Manlio Frizzi wrote:

hello all you Wizard!
I've seen that there are a lot of tools for
reading IPTABLES Log files (ie entry in /var/log/messages)
Some inside the GUI (Firestarter), some with simple http output
some with http+php4+MySQL.....

What's the best?

I don't think it much matters what you use to review logs, so long as it
doesn't extend your vulnerability.  For instance, PHP is probably best
avoided on critical systems.  Databasing logs can make Denial-of-Service
attacks easier, but may also help with analysis in some instances.

I'd be wary of having to have a Web server function to be able to find out
my system or network was under attack.  But if having them (on a different
machine hopefully inside the firewall) meant the difference between the
logs being reviewed and them not being checked, or if you just wanted HTML
for formatting, and weren't using a server to serve them, that'd be an
individual choice.

HTH,

Paul