Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Blocking email through the web services

From: Mikael Olsson <mikael.olsson () clavister com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 19:13:29 +0100

Martin Peikert wrote:

seadog () jb ro wrote:
Is there a common port I can block that will prevent users from
downloading email from webmail services such as aol, hotmail or msn, used
by all - without blocking www service in general?

Try port 110 (pop3), 995 (pop3-ssl) and maybe 220 (imap3) and 993
(imap3-ssl), too.

*ahem*
No one uses imap3. Really. It hardly left the test bed.
Everyone uses imap4, which uses the same ports as imap2 did.

imap2/4 lives on port 143.
The SSL version lives on 993.

In either case, this is useless for the big webmail services.
They only provide access via their web interfaces; why would they
provide service over pop3/imap where they can't serve up ads?

I have however seen some smaller webmail services that let you
use POP3 if you pay for it.

So: best bet is to block by DNS/IP, just as Paul said.
Unfortunately, you won't catch them all that way. Just the common
ones. Establish an acceptable use policy, get management backing,
and educate your users with a clue-by-four.

--
Mikael Olsson, Clavister AB
Storgatan 12, Box 393, SE-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK, Sweden

"Senex semper diu dormit"