Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: PIX split tunneling

From: "Ben Nagy" <ben () iagu net>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 09:08:36 +0100

Random tip:
Search the Cisco site with Google with "my query words site:cisco.com"

It works better.

As for the question, it isn't possible to stop end users on remote networks
trying to send secure network traffic out via the Internet. It's their
machine, they can mess with it. You can ship a preconfigured client, from
memory, which can help with rollout issues, but if it's just a remote laptop
on a public network then if they change the config then they change it.

If your users are inside the PIX then I don't understand the question. All
this fancy "split tunneling" jargon seems to mean  is that you don't
actually _need_ to tunnel all traffic. Wow. Revelation.

If the client VPN associations are with the firewall nearest to them (in
your network) , then you can then configure that firewall to forward the
traffic however you like after that. It can even re-tunnel some to a remote
network and send the rest out via the Internet.

If the client sessions are with a remote firewall (not in your network) then
you can't touch the data inside the sessions. You can always choose to
forward, tunnel, or block the packets, though.

Maybe I'm missing something.