Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Content Switch as security device?

From: "Ludolph, Michel" <Michel.Ludolph () atosorigin com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 21:18:10 +0100

This afternoon I had a discussion with a collegue. He told me about a
proposed Corporate Internet connection. In stead of using a Firewall between
the DMZ and the external network, the idea was to use a Cisco Content
Switch. This would result in the following architecture: Internet -->
screening router --> Content Switch --> router --> web servers.

This would mean that the Content Switch also acts as a sort of
proxy-firewall, justified by the fact that only defined ports are permitted.

I do not feel very comfortable with this solution. What about syn-floods and
fragmentation attacks? Furhter, a Content Switch is not designed to act as a
security device (it may listen to ports you are not aware of).

Has anyone come across such a solution, or have any thougths on this?

Thanks,

Michel Ludolph
michel.ludolph () atosorigin com