Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Acqusition of time

From: "Ben Nagy" <ben () iagu net>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 09:24:00 +0100

I'm all confused.

If a firewall can't reach an NTP server because of some transient network
condition the clock doesn't automatically go haywire - it will just start
drifting as per the normal accuracy of the hardware clock, no?

Or are we talking about some imaginary firewall that doesn't actually have a
hardware clock with a CMOS battery?

I could maybe be convinced that the "best" behaviour would be to start
marking log entries somehow as soon as NTP sync got lost or the correction
was larger than a few seconds, but I'm not sure it's anywhere near as
serious as losing logging ability. (That said, how many people use PIXes
that log via standard, lossy,  syslog ? ;)

Cheers,

ben