Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Proxy Firewalls (was FWTK vs T.REX)

From: Matthew Kirkwood <matthew () hairy beasts org>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 11:17:14 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Javier Perez wrote:

there are opinions against T.REX and it seems that
people like Zorp. are there any other interesting
options around? I would like to know what kind of
proxies is people using in the real world (apart from
gauntlet and raptor), specially the free ones.. is
people still using FWTK or is already obsolete?

I wrote some infrastructure and a few paranoid proxies
a while ago and released it all under the GPL, but it
never got very complete: http://hairy.beasts.org/fk/

I wrote some short ramblings about the other proxy
kits out there: http://hairy.beasts.org/fk/competition.html
I don't mention Zorp, because I never got around to
playing with it, but I really like its approach.

A second thing is if those products support ssh
authentication in the proxy (through something like
tn-gw-nav for FWTK), which I need.

It's not too hard to knock up a small script to use
as a user's shell.  chrooting users (which is possible
with PAM) into a read-only filesystem helps me to
sleep at night.

Matthew.