Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Antivirus on a free UN*X (Linux/*BSD) platform

From: "Josh Welch" <jwelch () buffalowildwings com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 12:39:29 -0600

Meco said:
Hi to all,

I would like to put an antivirus to filter all the mail traffic (smtp,
pop3, imap) in a trasparent way (without telling the user to connect to
a different mail server).

Something like squid in trasparent mode, with antivirus checking, but
for mail traffic.

I did it with commercial firewall (Checkpoint, Cisco). Do you think it
is possible on Linux/*BSD (iptables/ipfilter/pf + antivirus + something
else)?

Can you give me some pointers?

Best Regards,
                   Meco

We filter everything that goes through our smtp server, the theory being
that if it goes through our pop3 server it went through our smtp first.
We use MIMEDefang and McAfee's virus engine, but there are others.
Mailscanner was mentioned recently on the list and looks like it does
the same type of thing.

HTH,
Josh