Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: FIRESTARTER QUESTION

From: Darryl Luff <darryl () snakegully nu>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 03:26:42 +1100

Manlio Frizzi wrote:

I'm on my way for implementing security on my home made lan by
configuring IPTABLES with FIRESTARTER.

I've got this question: if I generate with Firestarter GUI the /etc/init.d/firestarter script
and all the /etc/firestarter/ scripts
then may I copy all those scripts in a linux box with the same
configuration
but without X (and consequently without gnome).
Does the firewall work just with those scripts and the Gui is just
for configuring?

I think that firestarter generates scripts with straight iptables commands. You may have to set the gui box up with the same IP address, etc.

It might be better to use fwbuilder, which definately DOES generate scripts suitable for copying to remote machines. It also gives you more control than firestarter.

Darryl Luff