Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: I cannot install Firestarter

From: Steffen Kluge <kluge () fujitsu com au>
Date: 15 Jan 2003 16:46:32 +1100

On Wed, 2003-01-15 at 02:50, Martin Peikert wrote:
Hello,

Manlio Frizzi wrote:
I've problem installing Firestarter
I've set up my linux Box Red Hat 8.0
Let's make rpm -Uvh firestart......rpm
The screen says :libpanel_status.so.0 is needed

welcome to RPM hell. I would install debian - the package management
debian uses (apt) is more reliable than rpm...

The problem has nothing to do with rpm. The OP tried to install a
package that depends on another one which isn't there. The only two
ways around this are either ignoring the dependency (--nodeps) or
installing the missing package first. The are various rpm installers
around that can do the latter automatically and recursively if required.
I wonder how apt would have handled this situation "more reliably"...

The real issue, however, is that libpanel_status.so (and gnome-core as
a whole) are only present in Gnome version 1.x and RH8 comes with Gnome
version 2.

I can't offer any concrete help here, my first shot would be building
the software from tar ball. If it insists on Gnome 1 stuff and refuses
to build, uninstalling the Gnome 2 environment from the box and
installing Gnome 1.4 from tar ball or rpm's should do the trick.
That, or simply using RH7.3 instead of RH8.

Cheers
Steffen.