Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Off topic: Any one know of a good IPV6 reference book?

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 20:23:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Crispin Cowan wrote:

That would solve a lot of issues for secure networks.

I really believe that IP crypto does not actually solve any
significant security problem in a compelling or useful manner.

If every single packet had an authentic source IP address, then DDoS
problems would be much easier to manage.

Crypto doesn't solve that problem though- the initial packet still needs
to come from somewhere, and is spoofable.  Ubiquitous outbound
anti-spoofing rules would be *much* more effective.  For instance, if
non-ISP images of IOS had to be configured with "Vaid originating network
addresses," we'd have a darned good start[1].

Caveat: not to say that IPSec or IPv6 are particularly good or bad ways
to get authentic source IP addresses. Just a counterpoint to MJR's claim.

They only help for subsequent packets, not for the initial ones, so floods
are still possible.  Since v6 doesn't mandate crypto, it's really pretty
moot.

Also, these days, with the advent of large Botnets, I'm not all that sure
that not forging the sources makes it all that much more of a bar, and all
that extra crypto leaves room for new DoS vectors.

Paul
[1] Not to pick on any single vendor, but with their market share, I think
if we had 75% of their leaf node routers configured thusly, DDoS by
spoofing would be a done deal, *and* infections would be easier to spot.