Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Linux Firewall on CD

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 21:27:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, james mcdermott wrote:

Would anyone be so kind as to help me find any documentations on how to
setup a linux firewall on a cd. This means, how do i create an image and put
it on cd. So if someone breaks thru the firewall they cannot install
software on it.... Thankx in advance....  James

Generally, attackers want to get past the firewall, not on to it- if the
firewall is compromisable, then it's going to be game over, no matter if
the disk is writable or not.  You'll have to have some writable storage
for logs, mount points, device nodes...  Usually, CD bootable systems use
a RAM Disk- so an attacker can easily keep things in memory, and the only
thing you really gain is disinfection with a reboot- however you're still
vulnerable to the original attack, so the gain from running off a CD is
pretty negligable from a security perspective.

The only time I'd seriously consider using a "run off CD" system over
another kind is the scenerio where the media was distributed to folks who
I didn't want touching things, who had some level of access for
operational reasons, then it'd be more to deter the enthusiastic than
prevent the malicous.

Since you can network boot any *nix OS, it's probably better to spend time
on actually removing unncessary code, rather than trying to get the boot
media to be unwritable.

Paul