Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Syslog set up

From: "Melson, Paul" <PMelson () sequoianet com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 08:45:00 -0400

I think a gung-ho approach is best in this situation; "Log 'em all, let the analyzer sort 'em out."  :-)

Anyway, to get the PIX logging, it's just:

!-- facility can be anything so long as its unique to your syslog server
logging facility 20
!-- level 7 == debugging == most verbose
logging trap 7
!-- pick a victim, if no protocol/port is specified, UDP/514 is used
logging host inside 111.222.333.444 udp/1028
!-- Also, using TCP syslog can cause the PIX to freeze if it can't
!-- communicate with the syslog server - once the log buffer is full
!-- it stops passing traffic.  Use UDP if at all possible.

PaulM