Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Application Intelligent vs ALG

From: Adam Shostack <adam () homeport org>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 11:58:26 -0400

I think we can see if it's better or not by applying intelligence.

If by better, we mean "resists more attacks," then a real
proxy which terminates the connection and re-builds it will catch all
the attacks which the inspect code can, plus some set of attacks where
the proxy author doesn't copy things the same way the app does;
perhaps reducing integer wrap-around problems.

If by better, we mean "faster," then an inspection engine which
copies, inspects and sends the original is going to be faster than a
proxy which copies, inspects, corrects, and sends, assuming that the
inspections are equal.

Only if by better, we mean "no one ever got fired for buying this,"
then the jury is still out.

All three are valid meanings of better.

Adam

--